Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Form of Punishment

As most parents know, you are always trying to figure out new ways to punish your children- time outs, taking things away, no TV time, sit in the corner, etc... I started to find that these things were not working for one of my children (I will not name any names but I am sure you can figure it out:)

I talked to Ben about it one night and he decided that she needed to write sentences. She can work on her penmanship as well as sitting in a time out writing. It has worked wonders. I have even learned to use her spelling words in the sentences. We have gone from sentences like, "I will not lie to my mom", "I will not throw a transformer at my mother's back", "I will not spit on my brother" to more creative ones.

This morning, she was screaming at me a lot. I told her that she would have sentences when she came home. I looked at her spelling words and saw that she had words "mean" and "me". So, when she comes home today she is writing, "It is mean for me to scream at my mother." 50x's.

Madison has had to do it as well but I have not quite figured out how to get words like, centipede, trimming, dragging, libraries, married, scurried, ceiling, citizen, cinnamon etc... in the sentences. So, unless she gets in trouble for dragging a married centipede to the library, I am will not able to use her spelling words.

Regardless, this punishment is starting to work and I will probably start making a book for my children's future spouses:)

6 comments:

Aubree said...

I am sooooo taking this idea! Especially since my child has the same spelling words and is very mean to her Mom. ;)

Debra said...

When I saw your post title I just started laughing thinking oh this is going to be good. Love the idea!!

Lenore said...

I love this idea! Dave had Lily write a list of 10 nice things to say to people... but something 50 times, I like it!

Stacey said...

HA! That is awesome! Not awesome for you that she-who-will-not-be-named was screaming at you, but extremely creative form of punishment!

Dianna said...

I did this with my exceptionally unruly students. One thing I always tried to do was phrase the sentence they had to write as an "I will" statement so that hopefully they would think about what they would do the next time. Glad it's working!

Cristi said...

that is genious!