Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sheet Pan Pizza

I tried a new pizza recipe tonight that I LOVED and the kids loved it as well. Definitely not a weight watchers recipe, but I had a small serving and loved it. I cut the recipe in half and did it in a 13 x 9 pan. I think it would be really good as a cookie sheet size though. I also did pre-made pizza sauce and added ham and pineapple to half of it. Do what you want, it will be yummy! Serves 12 (unless your family really likes pizza-more like 6!

Oh, and I get most of my recipes from a magazine called Cooks Country. They take recipes and try them over and over again until they get it right. They then have tasters test all the recipes and they print the best ones. This might explain some of the weird things they ask you to do when you are cooking. By pre-baking it with the Parmesan, it helps so the sauce does not slide off easily. By pre-cooking the sauce, it helps it for some reason...I forget. But, it turns out great. Just an FYI.

If you are interested in the magazine, I actually would recommend just purchasing the hardbound annual they have at the end of each year. It is only $20.00 and it has all the magazines from that year. I just do that and have fun all year long with last years recipes and look forward to my new one in December.

Dough
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I used veggie and it worked fine)
1 3/4 cup water, heated to 110 (I heated it for 1 minutes and it worked out)
1 TBS sugar
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 envelopes (4 1/2 teaspoons) rapid-rise or instant yeast
2 tsp salt

Sauce and Toppings
(I used a pre-made pizza sauce and it worked)
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 TBS tomato paste
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 TBS chopped fresh basil
Salt
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella (I used a mix cheese and it tasted fine)

1. For the dough: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 200 degrees. when oven reaches 200 degrees, turn off oven. Grease large bowl. Evenly coat 18 by 13 inch rimmed baking sheet with 1/4 cup oil.
2. Combine water, sugar and remaining oil in measuring cup. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix flour, yeast, and salt on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium-low and slowly add water mixture until dough is uniform in texture, about 3 minutes. Transfer dough to prepared bowl, cover with plastic, and place in warm oven. Let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
3. For the sauce and toppings: Heat 1 TBS oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Cook garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste and cook until just beginning to brown about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer until reduced to 3 cups, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and season with salt.
4. On lightly floured work surface, use rolling pin to roll dough into 16 x 12 inch rectangle. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and stretch dough to cover pan, pressing dough into corners. Brush dough with remaining oil and cover with plastic wrap. Set in warm spot (not oven) until slightly risen, about 20 minutes. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
5. Remove plastic wrap and using fingers make indentations all over dough. Sprinkle dough with 1 cup Parmesan and bake until cheese begins to melt, 7-10 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and spoon sauce over pizza, leaving 1 inch border. Bake until sauce is deep red and steaming, 7-10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle mozzarella and remaining Parmesan evenly over sauce and bake until cheese is golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove pizza from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Serve.

1 comments:

The Wright Stuff said...

Is this recipe better than the deep dish pan pizza recipe? That one is SOOOO YUMMY!