Saturday, May 1, 2010

I DID IT!!!

This morning was the Parkway 1/2 Marathon. I slept horrible last night. I took plenty of Aspirin this morning. I could not believe I was doing this!!! To think back to a year and a half ago in January 2009... I felt like I needed to make a change. I felt like I could be healthier and happier and I decided to start to work out more and diet. I had no idea the change that would happen.

I started on the treadmill doing 1 mile before my group exercise classes. I remember the first time was a 14 minute mile. I was exhausted. Before long I was able to do 2 miles to push myself farther, then 3. A little over 3 months later, I was down 40 pounds and felt better than I ever had before.

As some friends started training for this half marathon I still thought they were crazy but I wanted to see what I could do. The next think I knew, I was running 10 miles with them and feeling okay! I signed up to do the run and was so excited. At least I was...until today. I started the run and seriously thought at one point, "How did I get here? I hate running!!! I thought people that did this were crazy!" Well, this morning I was one of them.

I felt great until mile 10 and then wanted it all over very quickly. My legs were not allowing me to go as fast as I wanted to but I honestly kept saying, "You can do it. You will be so mad at yourself if you stop. Just finish. Baby steps." After many more baby steps, I got to the end and saw Logan on Ben's shoulders and my girls were there to give me high fives. It was awesome to see them. It was fun to see everyone finish. I felt like I was watching Biggest Loser with all the supportive families there watching us.

What a great memory to have and an accomplishment. I am glad I did it and even more glad to be done with it! I will post more pictures as I get them from my friends. Thank you, all of you, that cheered me on from afar. I really appreciated the support.

BEFORE THE RACE:


Our shirts said, "Folsom Runners Spring 2010- Run Like a Girl"

AFTER THE RACE: (I did get a medal, Logan was wearing it!)
Thanks Marissa for the picture!

10 comments:

Maylin said...

That's awesome! You girls look so good before AND after!! Congrats!

Debra said...

Great job Nicole, I am so proud of you. I got a little teary eyed reading about how far you have come and all that you have accomplished and then having you see your family at the end. What a great moment that must have been. You are an inspiration! Sleep well tonight. :)

Rachel said...

Nicole, you failed to mention that you got a great time. You were in the top one third of finishers. You were awesome! It's been fun to witness your journey, you've inspired me in many ways.

Kristine said...

Congratulations to all of you!

Fernandez Family said...

You are awesome Nicole!!

Aubree said...

You really have accomplished a lot in a short time! I am glad the family was able to go and witness your killer time!!

Maybe by next year I can get you up for doing another with me! :)

Heather said...

Way to go Nicole! I am trying to still talk myself into doing a 1/2 in July. Not sure yet if I want to put myself through it but MAYBE I will! You are an inspiration!!!! You look great too!!!!

The Simpsons said...

you are such an inspiration! way to go!!

Molly Ward said...

Nicole, all I can say is "You go Girl!" What a sweet accomplishment! All that hard work, dedication and heart that drove you to the end, paid off. Congratulations!

Becky Kent said...

Hey Nicole, you rock. I'm really, really impressed that you did the half marathon. Good job. Will you ever run one again? From now on, a 5K will be a piece of cake for you.