I got this recipe from our recipe exchange that I do each December. Thank you Emily for these. They were soooooo good and the ingredients are ones that I actually have all the time. That is always nice for homemade rolls! I had this with homemade strawberry freezer jam and they were so good. I lost count of how many I ate! Madison said they were the best rolls she had ever tasted. (In all her 6 years of life)
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup shortening
2 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBSP yeast
2 eggs
6 cups flour (this was the perfect amount for mine, but you might need more)
Put shortening in a cup of boiling water that has salt added to it and allow it to melt and stand until luke warm. In a separate bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water and sprinkle yeast on it. Allow it to stand at least 5 minutes. When shortening mixture is lukewarm, add eggs and put together with yeast mixture. Add flour (or more if too sticky). Cover and let rise until double.
To speed this up, I put the dough in a oven safe bowl (sprayed with cooking spray) I then put suran wrap on top. I heat the oven to 200 degrees and once it is there, I turn it off. I put the bowl with the dough in the oven and it rises quicker. (usually about half the time)
Once it has doubled, roll out the dough. I took half and did a circle and then did small triangles and made crescent roll shapes. You can do whatever you like to do. I then put them in a 9x13 pan. Usually about 15 will fit in each pan. The recipe makes about 36 rolls. Cover those and let them rise again. I did the 200 degree trick with these as well.
Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. (I needed a couple of extra minutes)
Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
2 years ago




3 comments:
Those sound great! Do you have a good/easy recipe for freezer jam?
Whoops..That was me. On Tyler's computer.
Aubree
I am with you Nicole that these rolls are amazing. Last week when I rolled them out I decided to turn one pan of them into cinnamon rolls. They tasted amazing as well. Thanks to whomever assigned Emily rolls last Thanksgiving so she would try out a ton of recipes to help us find the best.
Post a Comment