Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chicken Ole'

I got this recipe from my friend Heather's family blog. Thank you Heather!!! I LOVE slow cooker recipes and this one is definitely worth repeating. It is basically chicken enchiladas in a slow cooker. I would suggest a variation: Do less tortillas in the casserole. Instead: slice up tortillas into triangles and put them on a baking sheet. Salt them and broil them until crunchy. You can then use these crunchy tortillas to scoop up the casserole and it was so good!!!


10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup (or use 2 chicken if you don't like mushroom)
1 cup sour cream
2 T grated onion (I just minced mine)
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
12 flour tortillas, each torn into 6-8 pieces
3-4 cups cubed, cooked chicken- I actually chopped mine with a chopper.
7 oz jar salsa- I used a lot more (YUM!)
1/2 grated cheddar (for garnish)

In separate bowl, combine soups, sour cream, onion, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Spray your crock pot with cooking spray to avoid the tortillas sticking!!! Place one third of each of the following in layers in slow cooker: torn tortillas, soup mixture, chicken, salsa. Repeat layers 2 more times. Cover. Cook on Low 4-5 hours. (This recipe does not respond well to cooking on High.) Gently stir. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover. Cook on Low another 15-30 minutes.

You can also serve with tortilla chips and lettuce. This is really good with corn as the side dish. Oh- I think this could actually be ready in about 3 hours. If you needed to eat it then.

0 comments: