Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Twilight Review

So I went to see the movie Twilight Friday night with a bunch of friends. Here is a picture of us...

The company was wonderful, popcorn yummy (thanks Amy!), and the night out was much needed. The movie, on the other hand, was...what is the word I am looking for...cheesy (expected),low budget (expected), boring (not expected), and overall a disappointment for me. I went expecting very little but came out with even less than that expectation. My advice would be that if you want to watch a good vampire/human love story or warewolf/human love story, watch one of the following:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns, Moonlight (vampire series last tv season) and a fun movie called Blood and Chocolate. (cheesy and fun but seemed to have more funding than Twilight!)

Stealing from a review I found on Mattie's blog (thanks Mattie), I will put which comments I agree with from that review (they had a list of 50 things!).

1. The lines were cute in the book, but corny and forced in the movie.
2. The acting was... lets face it... horrendous. (specifially Edward and Jasper-what was with Jasper???)
3. The facial expressions used were nearly comical when they were to be dramatic
4. The main characters were monotone.
5. While the good, emotional, and overall better actors were lost in the background.
(I liked Alice, Carlise, Esme, and her high school friend. They were all great but not on screen enough.)
6. The audience was lost on weather to believe dramatic moments were SUPPOSED to be funny or not. (I was laughing most of the time).
7. The "spider-monkey" scene (what???)- special effects lacking!
8. Stupid, pointless scenes that made people laugh instead of feel drama (the part where Edward is passing Billy and they stare like each others heads are on fire)(Amen to this one!)
9. The lines were awkward, even for the audience.
10. When Edward suggests he should leave Bella (at the end) her eyes blink so much it makes me think of strobe lights, and her limbs start twitching like she's having a seizure.
11. The music seemed to be forced and misplaced at inopportune moments.(This is actually my biggest issue with the movie.)
12. It seemed to be more of a giant spoof on the book rather than a tasteful representation.

If you want the entire list of 50, let me know. They will make you laugh. I did not agree with them all though. Overall, I had a fun night and I am glad I saw it for the entertainment. I really hope they change things for the next one. I am sorry if I have offended any of the Twilight fans with this honest reveiw. I still really liked the book!

1 comments:

Idaho Sutters said...

Thanks for the review. I had decided not to go and now I am even more convinced. Some books are so good that your don't want them messed up on screen. I am glad you had a fun night though.